By operating through primary pediatric care, Reach Out
and Read has the greatest reach of all early literacy programs to
families with young children - and the capacity to
scale up to reach many more.
Thanks to consistent and generous support from many individuals,
foundations and corporations, we have grown significantly over the
last 30 years.
- We serve 4.7 million children and
their families annually
- 32,700 medical providers are trained to
deliver the Reach Out and Read program
- We have over 6,000 program sites in all 50 states and
- We reach 1 in 4 low-income families.
- We have a waiting list of clinics that would like to join Reach
Out and Read, and bring on board an additional 300 sites, serving
176,000 more children each year.
Over the years, the Reach Out and Read model has been examined
by academic investigators in a variety of settings, providing a
substantial body of peer-reviewed research on the impact of
This body of published research is more extensive than for any
other psychosocial intervention in general pediatrics.
The Key Findings:
- Parents are 2.5 times more likely to read to
- Families are 2.5 times more likely to enjoy
reading together or have books in the home.
- Children's pre-school language development is improved
by 3-6 months.
Learn more about our evidence base here.
Reach Out and Read continues to be committed to
evaluation of our impact through independent
- Thorough evaluation shows us how to continue to improve our
model for maximum effectiveness.
- Compelling results place Reach Out and Read as a leader
in early literacy and stimulate a more widespread adoption
of our program.
Our current research ranges from large-scale network-based
research that will further demonstrate the impact of our
program on families and children to examining how
technology might amplify the Reach Out and Read
Learn more about our current research here.
In 2014, the American Academy
of Pediatrics issued a landmark policy statement promoting
literacy as "an essential component of pediatric primary
care" for all children.
The policy references Reach Out and Read as an
effective intervention to engage parents and prepare
children to achieve their potential.
We have received many other prestigious Awards &
Endorsements - read more here.