To celebrate the beginning of a new decade, our team created a shortlist of our most memorable impact moments from the past year to reflect and share.
- Partnership: This year, we launched an incredible new partnership with Kyliegh Curran, a young and talented actress from Atlanta. Kyliegh hosted two storytime events, reading aloud to adoring fans and book lovers at our neighborhood Barnes and Noble Alpharetta location.
- Collaboration: This year, we were a proud sponsor of Georgia Pre-K Week, organized by Voices for Georgia’s Children. Our team visited the Capitol and presented 300 Georgia legislators with copies of Llama Llama Red Pajama, donated by one of our incredible publishing partners All About Books.
- Relevance: This year, our favorite twin dad went viral on our social channels! An adorable video of Brantley reading aloud to his twins before bedtime and a follow-up storytime photo reached more than 6,000 people.
- Community: This year, the fantastic community of staff and families at Primrose School of Dunwoody collected 572 new and gently used books to benefit Reach Out and Read Georgia. Every book donated passed into the hands of a young child in DeKalb County, Georgia.
- Volunteerism: This year, our incredible volunteers from Pi Beta Phi volunteered their time and expertise to decorate a gorgeous holiday tree that won second place at the Festival of Trees at the Embassy Suites Centennial Park.
- Depth: This year, our collaboration with the Get Georgia Reading Campaign and campaign leadership was highlighted in a National Grade-Level Reading webinar.
- Celebration: This year, Program Manager, Gail Phillips, was recognized as the recipient of the 2019 Wyntress Smith Award. Gail was honored at Reach Out and Read’s 30th Anniversary celebration in Boston.
- Vital: This year, nine local Barnes & Noble and Books-A-Million retailers recently donated $108,000 in in-kind books to Reach Out and Read Georgia. We joined forces to raise awareness about the importance of early literacy and child development.
- Legacy: This year, we celebrated Dr. Jay Berklehamer’s rotation off the Reach Out and Read National board. Two decades earlier, Dr. Berklehamer accepted the role of Chief Medical Officer at Children’s Healthcare of Atlanta, where he crossed paths with Dr. Terri McFadden, a fierce and dynamic Reach Out and Read Medical Champion. And, the rest is Reach Out and Read Georgia’s history!
- YOU! This year, your contributions helped us to increase our reach to 135 medical program sites at hospitals, clinics and doctor’s offices across Georgia. Our trained providers are critical partners and trusted messengers, prescribing life-changing books and increasing access to relational health for more than 100,000 children and their families.
Thank you for being such an important part of our year, from those who were able to donate money or time to those who liked our posts on social media. Every action matters, and we work in early brain development so we know this to be true. We are so grateful that you are a part of our community.
Our work is critical in transforming young lives across Georgia, and we look forward to all the opportunities 2020 will bring.