study descriptionQualitative, semistructured interview study.
core topic(s)Reach Out and Read (ROR)
Population CharacteristicsMedical Providers , Medical Trainees
Exposures, Outcomes, OtherImplementation and Evaluation , Medical Training/Education
objectivesWe sought to understand how literacy promotion training is currently implemented in pediatric residency programs from the perspective of program directors.
exposureReach Out and Read (ROR) training.
outcomes evaluatedExperiences and perspectives around literacy promotion training.
settingPediatric residency programs in New Jersey.
methodsWe conducted semi structured interviews with all 9 residency program directors in 1 state. We analyzed data iteratively coding transcripts using an immersion/crystallization approach to identify themes.
sample sizen=9 (interviews); n=11 (participants)
Crabtree and Miller process for thematic analysis to identify themes regarding residency program director’s beliefs regarding implementation and barriers to literacy promotion education.
Measure of Training Implementation: semi-structured interview guide:
- Would you describe for me how your program balances priorities in educating pediatric residents?
- Would you take me through how your program incorporates training on child development?
- The AAP releases several policy statements and clinical guidelines regarding child development. What role do these policy statements play in resident education?
- Would you describe for me how your residency program trains residents with regards to literacy promotion?
- From your experience, would you tell me about the barriers faced in educating residents about literacy promotion?
- From your experience, what are successful ways to implement training on literacy promotion into a residency program?
- Is there anything else you would like to add?