study descriptionExploratory, community-engaged, qualitative study.
core topic(s)Early Literacy , Pediatric Primary Care
Population CharacteristicsMedical Providers , Poverty/Low-Income , Toddler/Preschool
Exposures, Outcomes, OtherCommunity , Libraries and Public Resources , Parent Knowledge, Attitudes, and Beliefs , Provider Behaviors and Skills , School Readiness and Educational Outcomes
objectivesThis study examined caregivers’ perceptions of ECL (early childhood learning), the role of the pediatrician and pediatric office, and the use of community-based ECL resources among diverse, low-income caregivers whose children were not enrolled in preschool.
exposureEarly childhood learning (ECL).
outcomes evaluatedCaregiver perceptions of ECL.
settingParticipants were recruited from low income communities and neighborhoods throughout 2 adjoining counties.
methodsUsing community-engaged strategies, caregivers were recruited to participate in in-depth focus groups (FGs). Demographic and FG data were collected in English, Spanish, and Vietnamese. Qualitative data were analyzed with iterative transcript based coding and theme analysis.
sample sizen=12 (focus groups); n=69 (caregivers total); n=46 (mothers); n=8 (fathers); n=15 (grandparents)
Measure of Home ECL: focus groups led by semistructured FG guide was iteratively developed with stakeholder input, sample questions:
- Please introduce yourself, first name only, and describe how you most enjoy spending time with your child.
- Can you describe the role of a parent in the life of a young child?
- Could you please describe the characteristics of a child who is ready for kindergarten
- Could you tell me what parents can do to help prepare their children for kindergarten?
- Please describe some of the barriers you or other families in your community face when trying to prepare children for kindergarten.
- Please describe how, if at all, you think a pediatrician (or other pediatric provider such as a nurse or case manager) could help you prepare your child to be ready for kindergarten.
Additional Measure: anonymous survey with questions regarding demographic characteristics and their home ECL practices, adapted from the California Health Interview Survey and the US Census Bureau with input from community stakeholders.