evaluation focusDevelopmental Delay Screening
applicable ages0-155 months; 0-12 years
available language(s)English, Bulgarian, Czech, Danish, and Spanish
availabilityMust be purchased
additional materialsDP-3 – Manual
DP-3 – ParentCaregiver Checklist
DP-3 – Intervention Report Planner
DP-3 – Interview Form
DP-3 – Test Report
The Developmental Profile-3 (DP-3) is an instrument that can assess development and functioning in children and adolescents. The DP-3 may aid in identifying developmental delays, identifying the need for intervention, identifying appropriate activities to employ to strengthen identified weaknesses, and coordinating with school programs like special education and IEPs.
5 Score Formats Available:
- Adaptive Behavior
180 items describing 80 unique skills are answered on the basis of whether or not the child has mastered the skill. It is not necessary to administer all 180 items, only those relevant to the scale or scales of interest.
5 Scales Assessed / Scores Available:
- standard scores
- percentile ranks
- age equivalents
- descriptive ranges
Administration Format: parent interview (preferred) or parent/caregiver checklist, computer scoring
Total Time: 20-40 minutes
Reliability (Alpern, DP-3 Manual):
- Internal Consistency: estimates for all scales and all ages are good-excellent, with all correlations greater than 0.80 for all, including two thirds being greater than or equal to 0.90.
- Test-Retest: correlations on all scales after ~2 week delay are good and range from 0.81-0.92.
Validity (Alpern, DP-3 Manual):
- Content Validity: raw scores increase consistently with child age, reflecting expected increases as a child progresses developmentally with age.
- Construct Validity: factor analysis with standard scores for all five scales loaded onto a single factor ranging from 0.61-0.74. Item fit with measurement model assessed across all five scales suggested most items have good fit, and only 6 items had an infit statistic > 1.30.
- Discriminant Validity: the DP-3 can distinguish between two types of clinical difficulties: developmental delays/disorders versus behavioral, emotional, speech, or learning problems.
Available for Purchase: https://www.wpspublish.com/dp-3-developmental-profile-3.html
Source: DP-3 Manual by Gerald D. Alpern (available for download from: https://www.wpspublish.com/dp-3-developmental-profile-3.html)
supporting literatureAlpern, G., Boll, T., Shearer, M. (2006) Developmental Profile II (DP-II). In: Pierangelo, R., Giuliani, G. (eds) The Special Educator's Comprehensive Guide to 301 Diagnostic Tests. John Wiley & Sons, Inc., Print.
PDF: DP-3 – 1 – Pierangelo 2006
Unruh, S. (2017) Test Highlight: The Developmental Profile-Third Edition (DP-3). In: Unruh, S., McKellar, N. A. Assessment and Intervention for English Language Learners: Translating Research into Practice. Springer, Print.
PDF: DP-3 – 2 – Unruh 2017