evaluation focusEnglish Speaking Expressive Vocabulary
applicable ages24+ months; 2-18+ years
availabilityMust be purchased
The Expressive One Word Picture Vocabulary Test (EOWPVT) is instrument that can be used to measure English-speaking expressive vocabulary in a wide range of ages from early childhood through late adulthood. The assesses the test-taker’s ability to name commonly experienced objects, actions, and/or concepts. These items are presented as a series of 190 full-color pictures. This measure is often used in conjunction with the Receptive One Word Picture Vocabulary Test (ROWPVT, tagged “ROW”).
- standard scores
- age equivalents
Administration Format: Test Plates bound in a Spiral Booklet with a Fold-out Easel
Reliability (Michalec 2011):
- Internal Consistency: manual report acceptable coefficient alphas range from 0.93 – 0.98, with a median of 0.96. Split half coefficients, corrected for full-length, have a median of 0.98.
- Test-Retest: 226 testers re-tested, coefficient of 0.90.
- Interrater: strong consistency across examiners demonstrated by three different reliability tests.
Validity (Michalec 2011):
- Content Validity: demonstrated for illustrated items
- Criterion-Related Validity: demonstrated between the EOWPVT and other vocabulary tests
- Construct Validity: tested across a variety of sources with correlations ranging from 0.64 – 0.89.
supporting literatureMichalec, D., Henninger, N. (2011) Expressive One-Word Picture Vocabulary Test. In: Kreutzer, J. S., DeLuca, J., Caplan, B. (eds) Encyclopedia of Clinical Neuropsychology. Springer, 1000-1002.
PDF: EOW – 1 – Michalec 2011
Furlong, M.J., Teuber, J.F. (1984) Validity of the Expressive One-Word Picture Vocabulary Test for Learning-Disabled Children. Journal of Psychoeducational Assessment, 2(1), 1-90.
PDF: EOW – 2 – Furlong 1984
de Silva, V.R., Lindau, D.A., Giacheti, C.M. (2021) Cultural Adaptation of Expressive One-Word Picture Vocabulary Test, 4th Edition (EOWPVT-4), for Brazilian Portuguese. CoDAS, 33(1), 1-5.
PDF: EOW – 3 – de Silva 2021
referenced articlesThe Impact of a Clinic-Based Literacy Intervention on Language Development in Inner-City Preschool Children
Exposure to Reach Out and Read and Vocabulary Outcomes in Inner City Preschoolers
The Impact of Early Literacy Guidance on Language Skills of 3-Year-Olds